Friday, March 18, 2011

Obsession Confession–Carrissa

Name: Carrissa Stalcup, Addicted to Cloth

Children: 2 - Daughter who is 2 and Son who is 6 months

Occupation: Homemaker

Where do you live? Gastonia, North Carolina

Is your hubby on board with using cloth diapers? Yes, Yes, and Yes_24_Carrissa_Stalcup_thumb[3] again! He is just as obsessed about it as I am, and tells me he loves that our kids are not wearing those "fake" diapers.

When did you start cloth diapering? When my daughter was about 9 months old.

What was your main reason for switching to cloth diapers? We were running out of money each weak too early. Now, we continue because we feel more responsible and environmentally friendly, plus I love the cute cloth baby bums!

Share the short story of how you started using cloth diapers. I had some prefolds and rubber pants and pins that my grandma gave us in case we ever "ran out." So I began doing it the old way only at home. I hated it, even though I knew it was saving us money. Then I started following my friend Andrea's blog (that’s Doable Diapers!) since I wanted to keep in touch with her. I saw that she said she cloth diapered all the time, everywhere, in New York. Once I saw the new diapers, I researched every thing I could find. Finally, after many YouTube reviews, we purchased 20 diapers off of eBay that were very comparable to Doopsy pocket diapers for my son. We love them! I was about to give up on CD, now I am addicted to them. My favorite search on the internet is "One size Cloth diapers"

What is your favorite brand and style of diapers? Pocket, one size, Currently Sunbaby, may soon be the Champ from Go Green pocket diapers (I am currently stocking the mailman waiting its arrival!)

img_0243_thumb[16]How many diapers are in your stash? 28 and growing!

Share a blooper or “newbie” story from your cloth diapering experiences. My sister-in-law was trying to help and put a pocket diaper on my son that was not stuffed! Good thing I checked him after she did. We are constantly educating the nursery workers in cloth diapers since they like to change them, but they sometimes put it on really loose (as if they think it is going to hurt him if it is on snuggly).

Do you have a tip to share with others? #1 Get a support group, or connect with other cloth diapering mamas. It helps you not to feel strange or unsanitary or freakish. #2 Find the best night time diaper for your baby as soon as you can.

When you started using cloth diapers, what is one thing you wish you had known? That they don't have to be a drudgery! They can be fun!

What is the greatest issue or problem you’ve had with cloth diapers, and how did you resolve it? That microfleece gets clogged and Rockin’ Green fixes it!

Regarding cloth diapers, is there anything you would like to know? I still don't know enough about wool, or other waterproof options. I am looking for a diaper rash cream that is safe for my pocket diapers.

What are your other hobbies, interests, and obsessions? What? You mean there are other hobbies? JK! Thrift store shopping, potty training, baking, spending time with my hubby- all while I wait for the perfect diaper to be produced - a mock denim diaper , pocket style, inner gussets, hemp inserts and doublers, One Size adjustable elastic, color waist snaps.

What are your favorite blogs and websites? Andrea's of course. Actually Doable Diapers was the first blog I followed.

Tell us a little about your personality. I love to be the life of a party, but rarely make very close friends for fear that I will move away from them. I will come up with all kinds of ways to start a business, but never have gotten one off the ground! :) .

45820_156339671048091_100000161773494_549627_3079105_nCarrissa is one of my good friends.  We were college dormies for three years, and we both married Benjamins, just a couple of months apart (and our Ben's were good friends with each other).  I enjoy Carrissa’s frugal approach to homemaking – she has inspired me in many ways.  I was only too glad to help her a little bit as she launched into modern cloth diapering!  Now she has converted several other people.  She has been a guest blogger for Doable Diapers in the past.

1 comment:

Lilah Moo said...

The Go Green champ diaper are made by the exact same factories in china but marked up. I know those diapers are sold on ebay for half the price and different name so check there first. Also, I use ebay diapers too. My fav is Papoose and Babyland because they are the same brand and truly are one size (fits newborns!)

For diaper cream, CJs BUTTer is CD friendly, no need for liners or anything :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...