Monday, May 2, 2011

Foaming Wipe Solution

homemade wipesWe love using cloth wipes!  Not only does it save us money, but the wipes are soft and thick.  Though I didn’t start out using cloth wipes, I soon became convinced that they are a better choice (at least for our family).  We even use them on-the-go. 

I used to make my own wipe solution.  I blogged the “recipe” here.  I’ve also tried wipes solution drops, but found that they were hard to dissolve. I recently switched up our method of wetting cloth wipes…again.

I had a sick little girl over the weekend, so while she was sleeping (a lot!) I was able to catch up on some blog reading.  I came across a post on So Easy Being Green, which led me to this post on Cloth Diaper Diaries about making a foaming wipe solution.  The foam is not as cold as other solutions may be. 

“That’s a really great idea!” was my initial thought.  However, I didn’t think my hubby would go for it.  But, when I presented the idea Ben actually really liked it.  He thought that wetting the wipes individually would give a better clean, because the solution wouldn’t dry out as it sometimes does when I pre-moisten wipes. 

I was still a little skeptical…would I have to use a bunch of foam to get my wipe wet enough?  Would it leave soap behind on Elaine’s bum?  I decided to give it a shot.

So we made the switch.  The ingredients are basically the same as what I was using before.  Some water, baby shampoo, and Tea Tree Oil if you wish.  I had not been using Tea Tree Oil, but I did start adding it recently.  I has antimicrobial and antifungal properties, and I decided we needed a little extra “clean” in our solution.

Below are the directions.  By the way, you can use the same method for refilling your foaming hand soap bottles inexpensively.  We have been doing that for a long time – I just use cheap shampoo or dish soap.

Directions:

  1. Start with an empty foaming soap bottle. 
  2. Add about 2 Tbsp. baby shampoo or body wash.  I l.o.v.e. Baby Magic…it smells sooooo good, and their lotion is even better!
    **By creating a foam, you use less shampoo than other solutions.  Therefore, you are getting more bang for your buck.
  3. Add a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil if desired.
  4. Fill bottle with warm water.
  5. Replace pump and gently swish to mix ingredients.

The verdict?  I love it!  I only use one pump per wipe.  The wipe gets plenty wet.  Elaine doesn’t squirm as much when it first touches her skin.  I do think it delivers a better clean than my pre-moistening method.

And here is an older post I did on how to fold your wipes so they “pop” out of an old wipes container.  Here is a follow-up post on the same topic that includes a link to a video tutorial at Dirty Diaper Laundry.

How about you?  What is your preferred method of wetting cloth wipes?  Do you make your own solution?  Leave a comment – I always love to get new ideas and learn better methods!

1 comment:

Gena @ Life With Captain Fussybuckets said...

That's such a great idea! We use a wipe warmer with just water, but this is great and so much less hassle!

Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...