Friday, July 29, 2011

Monthly Report: Cloth Diapering at One Month

Nolan turned four weeks old today, and he will be a month old on Saturday.  He is now over 10 pounds (7 lbs. 6 oz. at birth). I thought I would post an update to our cloth diapering – to let you know what we are doing, what doesn’t work, and what has changed since he was a newborn.

Nolan only wore the FuzziBunz extra small diapers for two weeks.  He is gaining weight much quicker than Elaine did.  I also packed away the newborn prefolds.  The size was still fine, but with only six layers in the center panel they just weren’t absorbent past an hour!

IMG_0755

Our stash now consists of seven Rumparooz One Size pocket diapers, five FuzziBunz One Size Pocket Diapers, seven FuzziBunz Perfect Fit Diapers, one Knickernappies One Size diaper, one Doopsy SD trim fit, and eight small prefolds with two Newborn Rumparooz Covers.

As I mentioned before, I am using FuzziBunz small inserts in the Rumparooz diapers.  The larger portion of the 6R soaker is too big, but the newborn insert wasn’t absorbent enough at this stage.  The FuzziBunz small inserts are wide and four layers thick so they are very absorbent.  They fit perfectly in the Rumparooz with the rise on the smallest setting.  Nolan can go 4-5 hours in one of these diapers at night.

The prefolds still don’t seem to be as absorbent as I would like, so I reach for the pocket diapers first.  We always take pockets in the diaper bag.  Nolan is still wearing the Rumparooz Newborn covers on the medium rise setting, but I think he is about ready to let them all the way out to the large setting.

I had to let out the waist on the FuzziBunz one size diapers.  Perhaps I didn’t quite have the sizing right before, but Nolan is growing rapidly, so he was ready for some breathing room.  The Perfect Fit FuzziBunz are a little high in the rise, and a smidge loose around the legs.  Elaine and Nolan both have skinny legs and thighs, so I think that is the reason the fit isn’t quite right.  They work well for daytime use when I am changing Nolan more frequently.

I am looking forward to testing the new Rumparooz Eco-Posh Wool Cover on Nolan with my Doopsy Bamboo Fitted.  I also have an old bumGenius Bamboo Fitted that should fit soon.  This will be our overnight routine and we will see how it goes!

We are washing diapers about every 36 hours.  This is mostly due to the fact that I don’t have a dryer, so I have to allow for hang dry time.  I also stopped using my cloth wipes for a while.  It is a lot to hang out, then to fold, etc.  I was getting overwhelmed with the volume of laundry and taking care of both kiddos.  So we decided to use disposable wipes and napkins for a little bit until I am better adjusted to life as a mommy of two!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

This is a great post and really helps me in planning my NB stash! Thanks, Andrea!

Amanda H said...

I make disposable wipes at home really cheap, if you ever want the recipe:)

Amanda Hitz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...