Monday, June 13, 2011

Swim Diapers…a little tip

The weather is getting *HOT* (atKONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA least here in NYC), and that means lots of summer fun outside in the water!  On our recent *vacation* for my brother’s wedding, we booked hotels with pools.  I was looking forward to easing some pregnancy discomfort, as well as introducing Elaine to the swimming pool.  (She insisted on wearing both the arm floaties and the ring float).

This brought me to consider my options in swim diapers.  I could purchase a specially designed cloth swim diaper, I could use a disposable swim diaper (not really an option for us), or I could use something I had on hand.

I chose the latter option, and utilized a tip I learned from Julie, the founder of Kanga Care and designer of the Rumparooz cloth diaper.  You can easily use any pocket diaper in your stash as a swim diaper, and it will save you some money.  Here’s how:

1.  Select a pocket diaper.  I chose Rumparooz because of the inner gussets.  I felt they would contain a mess in the water better than a diaper without gussets.

2.  Remove the insert.  You want to contain any messes in the water, but you don’t want to weigh down your baby.  Just remove the absorbent insert!

3.  Set your pocket diaper to one size smaller than your baby normally wears.  Since there is no insert creating extra bulk, you will want a snugger fit.

4.  Have fun in the water!

The chlorine in the pool may cause your PUL to break down faster than normal.  For that reason, I choose to use the same pocket as a swim diaper every time.  Then, if I do have issues with the PUL, it is only one diaper lost, and not my whole stash!

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERAElaine had a great time in the pool – she did not want to get out!  Here she is enjoying some time with Grandpa!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...