Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Obsession Confession: Andie from Goodbye Disposable, Hello Cloth

 

Name: My name is Andrea, but most people know me as Andie.

Children: I have one daughter, whom I call Peaches, who just turned one this November.

Occupation: I am a Full Time Student/Stay at home Mom

Where do you live? I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota

DSCN7556Is your hubby on board with using cloth diapers? The whole family is certainly supportive of my decision to use cloth diapers, but not everyone is on board with participating. It kind of depends on the day.

When did you start cloth diapering? I started cloth diapering in early September of 2010, Peaches was 9 months old.

What was your main reason for switching to cloth diapers? I switched to cloth diapers because I realized that all of my money and savings was going towards disposable diapers. I was interested in cloth from the beginning but I was so afraid of the investment, but once I realized just how much money I would be saving, and that I could use them on any future children to come, I was sold on the idea!

Share the short story of how you started using cloth diapers.  I switched to cloth diapers due to my friend Tara, who runs TheSmallTownMom.com. We would get together at playdates, and I would see her daughter Blondie in the cutest little cloth diapers! She told me how easy it was and because I knew I had a friend I could look to if I needed help, I was willing to try it. I am so thankful to her and many people in the online cloth diapering community who have made the switch to cloth so simple!

What is your favorite brand and style of diapers?  There are so many different style and brands to love, it is hard to pick just one. My Flip diaper was the first diaper I purchased, so it will always have a special little place in my heart. I recently got a Charlie Banana 2-in-1 Sized DSCN8028diaper and it has been the only cloth diaper that has consistently worked overnight for my daughter, so the Charlie Banana diaper is basically my best friend in the morning!

How many diapers are in your stash? About 30 diapers. There are very few repeating brands, I like to try a little of everything.

Share a blooper or “newbie” story from your cloth diapering experiences? When Peaches was only a few months old, I tried cloth diapers with her for less than a hour before I gave up. I had no idea what I was doing. She was probably 8lb or 9lbs at the time, and I purchased a Size One Thirsties Duo Wrap, but I didn’t know I had to adjust the rise of the cover, and then I purchased Toddler prefolds rather than the newborn prefolds that she needed because I had no idea there was any difference. I spent about an hour online trying to figure out how I was suppose to fold this massive diaper on this tiny baby until I basically gave up. I had no idea there were cloth diapers that did not involve folding at the time.

Do you have a tip to share with others?  Read as much as you can about cloth diapers and ALWAYS enter giveaways! Most of my stash is from giveaways and I am so thankful for it!

Is there anything you wish you had known when you started using cloth diapers?  I wish I had known about WAHM diapers. When I first started using cloth, I thought my only options were big name diapers like Bum Genius or FuzziBunz. I love my “big name” diapers, but I also love to see all the love and passion that many Work at Home Moms put into the diapers they make and I love to help support other mothers who are just as passionate about cloth diaper as I am!

What is the greatest issue or problem you’ve had with cloth diapers, and how have you resolved it? I had a big issue with stinky diapers. I have been using a Free and Clear detergent because I cannot afford to buy CDing detergents all the time, but the Free and Clear detergents do a poor job of getting rid of the stinky smell that diapers can acquire. My solution: Occasionally, when they diapers start to smell, I soak them in a scented CDing detergent, and then immediately following the soak, I give them a good wash in the machine. It has allowed me to get rid of the stink without having to use the pricier CDing detergent all the time.

Regarding cloth diapers, is there anything you would like to know?  I would like to know more about the different materials within cloth diapers . I do not know the difference between a micro-fiber and a micro-terry material, or if bamboo is better than hemp. Most of those details fly right over my head.

What are your other hobbies, interests, and obsessions?  I am a huge political nerd and I tend to geek out about the Constitution. My dream job would be to become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice (I know, I dream big!). It is fairly evident in my blog just how much I love politics, but I try to keep as non-partisan as possible and keep my political nerdiness down to a minimum.

DSCN7376Do you have favorite blogs and websites?  Of course, I love The Small Town Mom, but I also really enjoy Fitteds and Pockets and Snappis, oh my!, Sippy Cups and Cloth Bums and What Mama Wants.

Describe your personality a little.  I would describe my personality as a little spunky but also mature. I am a weird hybrid of outgoing and structured. There are certainly things that a take very seriously, such as academics and my daughters well-beings, but I do not want to lose sight of the fact that although I am a mom I am still a 20 year old college student, so I like to have fun and let my hair down.

Andie blogs at Goodbye Disposable, Hello Cloth.  Be sure to stop in and let her know we sent you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...